Recipe By Rhea Parsons (Twitter: @saythevword)
Gluten-Free Vegan Hamantaschen
Recipe Type: Dessert
Here is an amazing Gluten-Free Hamantaschen recipe. It includes blueberry and apricot preserves for filling, but you can use whatever fillings you love: prune, fig, raspberry, etc. If you want to make chocolate Hamantaschen, simply add some cocoa powder to the flour mix. These Gluten-Free Hamantaschen are tender, chewy, and delicious. That’s definitely something to shake my gragger about! Happy Purim!
- 1¼ cups sorghum flour
- 1¼ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¾ cup raw sugar
- ¾ cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- ½ cup cold water
- Fillings: apricot and blueberry preserves
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add in the butter and mix until flour is clumpy. Add the vanilla and almond extracts to the dough. Add water slowly, mixing, until the dough comes together. Be sure to use the dough right away. If you can’t, refrigerate the dough until you are ready to use it and then let the chill come off of it before you proceed.
- Using a tablespoon, take pieces of dough and form them into balls. Put each ball between two small pieces of parchment paper. Press down on the ball with your hand to form a flat disk, about ¼” thick. Place about 1 tsp. of filling onto the center of each disk.
- Fold the disk into a triangle (handling it by the parchment paper makes it easier) and pinch the corners. Place hamantaschen onto a parchment covered baking sheet. Spray Hamantaschen with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake an additional 5 minutes or until hamantaschen are slightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in a covered container to keep them fresh. Enjoy and Happy Purim!