Passover Carrot-Apple Pudding
Recipe Type: Dessert
Serves: Serves 6-8
This sweet side dish of spiced carrots and apples brightens the Passover dinner plate. Baked until crusty, it’s also yummy enough to be an everyday dessert with a dollop of coconut yogurt.
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 5 large carrots, grated
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons safflower or other neutral vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sweet Passover wine (or substitute
- pomegranate juice, or similar no-sugar dark red juice)
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the quinoa flakes with 2/3 cup boiling water in a heatproof bowl. Let stand while the other ingredients are being prepared.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour in the quinoa flakes and mix well.
- Pour into an oiled 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and crusty. Let cool. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.