Leek & Cauliflower Soup with Lemongrass
This soup is a wonderfully contemporary take on the classic leek and potato soup. Replacing the potato with the cauliflower reduces the carbs, but keeps it just as creamy. The lemongrass adds the most incredible fresh zingy taste. This soup is stunning served warm and spicy or can be served chilled in the summer.
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 3 leeks – washed and trimmed and chopped, reserve handful for garnish
- 1 medium cauliflower – roughly chopped
- 1 stick of lemongrass – snapped in three places but still together
- Handful of fresh or frozen peas
- 500 ml veg stock
- 150 ml coconut milk
- Large nob of margarine
- Olive oil
- A pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, gently heat a large knob margarine and a little drizzle of olive oil, add your onion and let them sweat a little until they begin to turn translucent, then throw in your leeks and cauliflower and stir.
- Add the lemongrass, turn the heat down to the lowest, place the lid on and let the vegetables sweat for at least 5 mins until they are soft, then add the peas and pour in the stock and coconut milk.
- Let it bubble gently for another 10 minutes then turn off the heat and let it cool a little. Remove the stick of lemongrass before whizzing up with a stick blender, if necessary add more stock or coconut milk to reach desired consistency. Finely cut a small red chilli and a little leek to garnish and serve.