This is a hearty vegan dessert, perfect for springtime when rhubarb is at its best.
- 300 g plain white flour
- 150 g vegan butter (for example Rakusen’s “Tomor Vegetarian Margarine Block”)
- 150 g demerara sugar
- 60 g white sugar
- 250 ml orange juice
- 500 g rhubarb, chopped
- Rub together the flour, butter and demerara sugar until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Cut the rhubarb stalks into pieces roughly 5 cm in length. Any that are very thick can be sliced in half lengthways.
- In a saucepan mix the orange juice with the white sugar then add the rhubarb pieces.
- Cook gently for approximately 5 – 8 minutes, stirring just once or twice, until the rhubarb is slightly softened.
- Spoon the rhubarb into a large ovenproof baking dish or 4 individual ovenproof bowls and cover with 6 tablespoons of the poaching liquid.
- Top the rhubarb with the crumble mixture and bake for 30 – 40 minutes at 180ºC or 160ºC fan assisted/350°F or 320ºF fan assisted/gas mark 4 until golden on top and bubbling around the edges.
- Serve with a drizzle of vegan cream or custard.