- 1 large aubergine
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 courgettes – thinly sliced
- 75 g vegan cheese – grated
- handful of fresh basil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the stem end off the aubergine. Slice lengthways in to 5mm (¼ inch) thick slices: you should have 6.
- Sprinkle over the salt between each slice. Leave for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Sauté the aubergine slices on both sides. Drain them on some absorbent paper. Fry the courgettes at the same time or alternatively grill for 3 minutes and turn over and cook until golden.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas mark 6.
- Spread a tablespoon of tomato paste on to each aubergine layer, followed by a courgette layer. Place some Parmesan cheese over the top. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add some basil leaves.
- Roll each aubergine slice up in a cylinder secured together with 2 cocktail sticks. Place on a lined oven tray and bake for 10 minutes to warm through.
For more delicious recipes, and details of Denise’s cookery classes, please visit the Denise’s Kitchen website. All classes can be tailored for vegetarians.
Denise’s Kitchen Tel: 01923 836 456 Email: email@example.com Web: www.jewishcookery.com