Recipe Type: Starter
This vegan matzo ball soup recipe is chock-full of vegetables, and the perfect prelude to the Passover Seder dinner. But more importantly, it’s vehicle for delicious Vegan Matzo Balls. Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas.Photo
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or other neutral vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, finely diced
- Handful of celery leaves
- 2 cups finely chopped cauliflower, optional
- 32-ounce carton vegetable broth, preferably low-sodium
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoon minced fresh dill, or to taste
- Vegan Matzo Balls
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and and sauté over medium heat until golden.
- Add the potato, carrots, celery, and celery leaves, optional cauliflower, vegetable broth, and 2 cups water. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently, covered, for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables tender but not overcooked.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Allow the soup to stand off the heat for two hours or longer to develop flavor.
- Just before serving, add the dill and heat the soup through. Add more water if the vegetables seem crowded, then adjust the seasonings. Serve with Vegan Matzo Balls.