Tasty and satisfying burgers, which are a perfect accompaniment to salads. This recipes makes 10 -12 burgers. Serve 1 or 2 burgers per person.
- 500 g red lentils
- 2 medium onions
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp gluten free f brown rice flour / regular flour
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 heaped tsp yeast extract: for example marmite
- Start by washing the lentils, cover with cold water, stir and pour water off the top.
- Put lentils in a large saucepan, cover with boiling water.
- Simmer for 15-20 mins until soft, stirring continuously so lentils don’t stick to bottom of pan and burn.
- Take lentils off the heat.
- Chop the onions finely, fry in olive oil until translucent – this will take a few minutes. Stir the onions and yeast extract in to the warm lentils, add tomato puree and soy sauce, then add flour in to the mixture, stir well until it reaches a thick consistency. Next, form the mixture in to balls and flatten to make burgers.
- Fry the burgers in olive oil for about 2 mins on each side / until lightly browned.