Thank you to Mandy, the lady behind Sneaky Veg for this lovely, warming recipe.
Dahl – by Sneaky Veg
Recipe Type: Starter
A quick, easy and tasty recipe, perfect for the winter months.
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- A chunk of ginger, chopped
- Dried red chillis chopped, to taste, or leave them out altogether. I usually add a small amount and the children don’t seem to mind.
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes or 4-5 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- Lentils, we usually use red lentils but you can use any kind – about one cup makes enough for 2-3 people.
- Place the lentils in a saucepan and cover with water. Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric and some salt to taste. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer until cooked. Add more water as necessary and stir regularly to avoid sticking. The red lentils usually take about 15-20 minutes but different types will take longer so adjust accordingly.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan. Add the cumin seeds and fry until brown. Add the onion, stir and cook gently until soft. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli then add the turmeric and stir well. Add the tomatoes. Cook for a further five minutes before adding the garam masala and curry powder. Add the lentils when cooked through and stir well. The longer you leave this the better so make in advance or even the day before if you have time.
- Serve with rice and/or bread. Enjoy!