This recipe is courtesy of Jessica Andersson, chef, nutritionist and founder of Jessica’s Recipe Bag.
Five Spice Tofu Stir-Fry with Noodles
Recipe Type: Vegan
A delicious spicy tofu stir fry which can be thrown together in just half an hour.
- 300 g tofu
- 300 g straight to wok rice noodles
- 50 g coriander leaves
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 230 g pak choi
- 2 tablespoon Chinese five spice
- 1 lime
- 2 carrots
- 175 g baby sweet corn
- 1 red chilli
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon corn flour
- 4 tablespoon olive oil/ rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 120°C/250°F/gas mark ½.
- Drain the tofu and pat dry with kitchen paper. Mix the corn flour and the five spice well on a plate. Cut the tofu into 3 cm cubes and roll them in the flour mix until coated on all sides.
- Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan or wok and fry the tofu evenly on each side until golden brown. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon or tongs and put on some kitchen paper on a plate. Place in the oven to keep warm. Keep the remaining oil in the pan.
- Finely chop 2 tbsp of coriander and set aside. Cut the spring onion into 2 cm lengths, crush the garlic clove, finely slice the carrots into thin matchstick style strips, cut the sweet corn in three, chop the pak choi, and deseed the chilli and finely chop.
- Add the spring onions, garlic and chilli to the remaining oil in the frying pan and fry for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Add the carrot, sweet corn and fry for 5 minutes, continue to stir everything around so the vegetables cook evenly. Add the pak choi, 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tbsp soy sauce and 200 ml of stock, cook for a further 3 minutes then add the noodles, break them up with a fork and cook for a further 2 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze the juice from the lime over the stir-fry.
- Take the tofu out the oven and serve on top of the stir-fry with lots of coriander sprinkled on top.