Roasted Coconut Squash Gringas
Recipe Type: Vegan
A delicious Mexican dish bursting with subtle flavours!
- FOR THE ROASTED COCONUT SQUASH:
- 500 g butternut squash, cut into strips
- 25 ml vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed chillies
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- pinch salt
- pinch cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons cream of coconut
- FOR THE PINK PICKLED ONIONS:
- 200 g red onions finely sliced
- 100 ml boiling water
- 40 ml orange juice
- 30 ml lime juice
- 1-2 finely diced birds eye chillies
- generous pinch of salt
- 5 g finely diced coriander
- TO MAKE THE ROASTED COCONUT SQUASH:
- Peel and remove the seeds from the butternut squash, then cut into strips approx. 60mm x 20mm x 20mm.
- Place the oil, butternut, agave syrup, chillies, salt, pepper and garlic in the roasting tray and toss together – roast in a hot oven, approx. 200°c/400°F/gas mark 6 for 20-25 minutes, tossing occasionally until just cooked.
- Add the desiccated coconut & coconut cream and toss together then back into the oven for a further 10 minutes, taste and adjust if needed.
- TO MAKE THE PINK PICKLED ONIONS:
- Place the onions in a bowl and cover with the boiling water for 15 minutes stirring occasionally (don’t place on the heat).
- Drain well and then combine the onions with the rest of the ingredients. Allow to cool and then refrigerate until needed. Your onions will last for 2 days in the fridge and can also be used to add a kick to sandwiches or salads.
- TO SERVE: Take one 6” wheat tortilla, top with 50 ml of refried beans and sprinkle with 50 g of mixed cheese then place another tortilla on top and place on the griddle. Top with 130 g of warmed roasted coconut squash, a blob of soured cream, pink pickled onions, spring onions & sliced radish to garnish. Serve with salad and fine greens beans.