Recipe Type: Vegan
A ‘meaty’ vegetarian version of a traditional, hearty English dish.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 225 g frozen soya mince
- 1 x 400 g/14 oz tin tomatoes
- 50 g frozen peas
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 – 6 tablespoons soya milk
- mixed herbs
- 1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 190 ml (1/3 pint) boiling water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C/430°F/gas mark 7.
- Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil until softened.
- Add the vegetable stock, soya mince, tomatoes, carrots, peas, herbs and salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and quarter them. Boil them in a separate pan for about 15 minutes until soft. Mash the potatoes with the margarine and milk.
- Pour the vegetable/soya mixture into an ovenproof dish, and place the mashed potato on top. Smooth down with a fork, forming a line pattern across the potato.
- Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes until the top has browned.
- Serve with a green salad.