- 1 onion, peeled and chopped OR 7 spring onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 x 425 g/15 oz tins of cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained (approx)
- 60 g/2 oz rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- Hot chilli powder/chilli flakes, to taste (optional)
- 100 g/4 oz dried breadcrumbs (the packet variety makes things easier)
- Vegetable or sunflower oil
- Heat approx. 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and stir. Cover and leave to cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Drain and mash the beans in a bowl.
- Add the oats, soy sauce and onion/garlic mix and knead well by hand.
- Form the mixture into 6 burgers and coat with the dried breadcrumbs.
- In a lightly oiled skillet cook the burgers on both sides until browned over a high heat (approx 4 minutes each side).
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 3 minutes each side to ensure they are cooked through.
- Serve in burger baps with thinly shredded lettuce, slices of tomatoes and vegan mayo, or with salad and chips.