Here are our Director Lara’s top tips for making the transition:
- Start with dishes you know and love
- Find a community – meet some vegans (come to JVS, join the Jewish Vegans page on Facebook / meetups)
- Try new ingredients
- Do some nutritional research, I would recommend the Vegan Society and Veganuary’s websites. Look in to B12, There are a lot of myths around protein – look up how much you actually need – protein calculators online
- Have fun and experiment!
- Invest in a good Vegan cookbook – anything by Bosh! or Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Entertaining a vegan?
- Make a vegan meal so that everyone can enjoy the same food, that way there is need to make another meal
- Gravitate towards naturally vegan dishes – curries, Middle Eastern food
- Why not ask your vegan guest for suggestions or to help?
Photo above is this wonderful Winter pilau with beetroot, cauliflower and coriander chutney from ‘East: 120 Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes from Bangalore to Beijing’ by Meera Sodha (Fig Tree, £20).