This simple, tasty bake takes no effort whatsoever and is a complete meal, with the cashews adding great protein to this dish.
Recipe from Honestly Healthy: Eat With Your Body in Mind, The Alkaline Way by Natasha Corrett and Vicki Edgson. Photography by Lisa Lindner. Published in hardback by Jacqui Small. Available now in full colour eBook format across the Kindle and Apple platforms. Click here to read Natasha Corrett’s ‘My Life as a Vegetarian’ article.
- 1 aubergine, halved lengthways
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g raw cashews
- 40 g coriander
- 1 garlic clove
- 50 g feta / vegan cheese
For the sweet tomato tabouleh:
- 80 g baby vine tomatoes, deseeded, diced and drained
- 100 g flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 30 g raw sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp agave syrup
- Preheat the oven to 170C / 340F / gas mark 3.5
- Place the aubergine halves cut-side up on a baking tray, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and bake for about 25 minutes, until almost tender. Meanwhile, whizz the cashews, coriander, garlic and remaining olive oil in a blender to a rough paste. When the aubergine halves are almost tender, coat them with the pesto and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes, until the pesto starts to crisp and brown. Serve sprinkled with cheese and accompanied with this Sweet Tomato Tabbouleh…
- Place the diced tomatoes in a bowl and stir in the parsley and sesame seeds. Whisk together the remaining ingredients and drizzle onto the tomato mixture and
- toss together.