Beetroot and Carrot Soup
This colourful nutritious soup is perfect for family style eating whether it is a Yom Tov or, for a change, a different soup for Friday night. Soup is easy to serve and can be made in advance, which makes the cook’s task straightforward. I like to boost the intake of vegetables with a healthy content as much as possible at any opportunity. It’s parev and will freeze.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 raw beetroots – peeled and roughly chopped
- 900 g carrots – peeled and sliced
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic – peeled and sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes – peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- [i]For the garnish[/i]
- Sprigs of parsley
- 6 whole coriander seeds
- Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan. Fry the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the carrots, beetroot, sweet potatoes, and vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Pour into a blender and whiz until smooth. Return to the saucepan and reheat. Season to taste.
- Fry the whole coriander seeds in a dry frying pan for 2 minutes until slightly golden. Remove and crush with a rolling pin or pestle and mortar.
- [i]To serve the stylish way[/i]: Garnish with sprigs of parsley and crushed coriander
For more delicious recipes, and details of Denise’s cookery classes, please visit the Denise’s Kitchen website. All classes can be tailored for vegetarians.