With September just around the corner, it is time to share our top ten tips on vegan student living:
1. Get some practice in early – cooking in front of people you don’t know can be a bit daunting! Why not practice a few staple dishes, for example soup / lasagne / bolognese / stir fry before you set off for university?
2. Invest in some good tupperware and spices – save money by making packed lunches, you can use last night’s leftovers. A great spice selection will come in very handy. Our favourites are cinnamon, chilli, paprika and za’atar. If you are new to cooking, why not take a little bit from home until you have worked out which ones you love?
3. Make your own cookbook using online recipes – instead of spending £ buying shiny new cookbooks, try printing out a selection of recipes and keeping them a ring-binder – that way if it gets a bit dirty or misplaced in your student digs, you can also make another. We highly recommend these websites: Green Kitchen Stories, Vegan Chef Day, Katy Beskow (aka Little Miss Meat Free), Deliciously Ella, and of course the JVS website! For more complex dishes, try
4. Cook with your flatmates / friends – this means you can share the cooking and washing up, and learn from each other.
5. Meal plan / cook in batches – once you have built up your confidence in the kitchen, the next step is to start planning meals – this means saving time and money. Cooking in batches on a spare evening / afternoon means you can reach for ready made food during the week. Batch cook grains / dips / roasted veggies etc.
6. Shop seasonally – use this handy guide to find out what is in season. It will be cheaper and much tastier.
7. ‘I’m vegan!’ – don’t be afraid to tell people! If you are invited to someone and they are new to it, offer to help them cook / give them ideas of easy dishes. So many are naturally vegan / can be easily adapted.
8. YouTube is your new best friend! – Follow along with videos if cookbooks aren’t your thing
9. See the Vegan Society’s new app VeGuide
10. Get in touch with JVS – need some recipe inspiration / have a question about Jewish veganism / want to share your creations with us – email [email protected]
See Veganuary’s epic vegan starter kit, packed full of amazing tips.