Raw Apple Pie
Serves: Makes a large pie
I love apples and have planted lots of apple trees over the years. Apples are a fruit of love and health. I created this as my tribute to good old apple pie.
- For the base:
- 100 g ground almonds
- 100 g ground seed mix
- 100 g dates
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1/2 inch ginger
- For the middle apple layer:
- 4 apples chopped
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp mixed spice
- 100 g raisins
- 100 g dates
- For the top layer:
- 100 g soaked and drained cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the base place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend into a biscuit like dough.Test that it is wet enough by making some into a ball and seeing if it stays. If not add a little more water. Pour into a silicone tin and firmly press it down so it is nice and compact. Place in the freezer to set for 20 mins.
- For apple layer add all the ingredients into the food processor and pulse it. Don’t over blend; you don’t want it too mushy.
- Pour on top of the base and place in the freezer to set for 20 mins.
- To make the cream layer drain your pre-soaked cashew nuts and rinse. In the food processor place the last ingredients and whizz into a smooth creamy layer. You will need to scrape down the sides a few times to get it all smooth. Then spread it evenly on top of the apple layer and leave to set in the freezer for 30 mins.
- Serve chilled from the freezer.